Natural Aussie Gal

Natural Aussie Gal

Monday, November 17, 2014

Cleaning non-organic fruit and vegetables

It's always best to consume organic fruit and vegetables, but sometimes it's just not affordable, or readily available. 
The most cost-effective way I have found to clean non-organic fruit and vegetables is to fill the sink with cold water, add 4 tsp table salt and the juice of 1 lemon. Let your fruit and vegetables soak for 10 minutes, then brush well with a natural fibre brush to remove leftover residue. The salt draws out dirt and insects and the lemon disinfects them. I do this to all my fruit and vegetables when I first purchase them, dry them, then refrigerate in airtight containers in the refrigerator in the crisper section - I use the containers with drainage racks in them. 
Storing it pre-washed can cause your produce to spoil quicker, but for me this is more time-efficient and I purchase it regularly anyway. I have never personally had a problem with it. 
It is really amazing how disgusting the sink is at the end of this. the first time I did it I was absolutely horrified! I had been putting all this dirt etc into my body for years...and this was just the dirt that I could see, not the chemicals and pesticides. 
This is by no means as good for you as organic, and will never remove all the chemicals and pesticides, but it does make it a lot better for you and removes some of the nasties you would otherwise be ingesting.
I have just started growing my own vegetables and fruit this season. I haven't got organic ones yes, but it will still be a lot better for me in the end. It is so rewarding too, I ate my first strawberry the other day and it was so much tastier! A good inspiration to keep me going and experiment more. I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment