Natural Aussie Gal

Natural Aussie Gal

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Natural sunscreen review

Today has been a scorcher at home with temperatures over 40°C, and it's only spring!! It's going to be a very long hot, dry summer around here.
After mowing the lawn and gardening all morning, hubby and I decided the best way to survive was in the blow-up kiddies pool we had. We were already quite sunburnt from being outside all morning, so I took this opportunity to test out my new natural sunscreen I had purchased earlier.
Natural Instinct Natural Sunscreen SPF 30.
By first glance this sunscreen is amazing. It is full of natural ingredients with no nasties added to it. It's enriched with jojoba, shea butter, green tea, rosehip, vitamin E, Beeswax (to achieve water resistance - therefore not suitable for vegans) and has the active ingredient zinc oxide 220mg/g.
It has an SPF 30, which is the highest you can get without adding chemicals. SPF 30 allows 3% of sun rays to get to skin, whereas SPF 50 allows 2% to get through.
It is made in Australia and not tested in animals, which I love.
It is also 3 hours water resistant, just what we needed.
I purchased this from the Chemist Warehouse for around $18.50, which is a good price considering it's a natural sunscreen.
But, unfortunately, it had a major downside for me. It leaves you really, really white, no matter how long you try and rub it in, it just won't go away. I shook it first, as the instructions directed, but this didn't help at all. It looked ridiculous! It would be ok for at home use, so it's not a complete waste of money, but I would never been seen in public with it on.
On saying this though, it did do its job well and we didn't get burnt any more, even though we were in the water. However, we were only out for about 45 mins, and clouds were coming and going. The back of the pool ended up with the sunscreen all over it from rubbing off our back.
It claims to moisturise, condition and replenish the skin, but I personally did not notice a difference at all.

PROS
* Nautral ingredients
* Reasonably priced
* Water resistant
* Not tested on animals
* Australian made

CONS
* Doesn't rub in properly
* Leaves a residue on surfaces you rub up against
* Leaves you looking horribly white

I give this product 2 out of 5 flowers. I would use this product as a last resort, it is a way better for you than normal sunscreens, but I would not choose to use, it which is a shame!
✿✿






No comments:

Post a Comment