Natural Aussie Gal

Natural Aussie Gal

Monday, November 24, 2014

Facial steaming

I have been facial steaming for the past month and I think it is amazing! It feels so good, is very invigorating and refreshing. I have been doing this morning and night, but after some further research, this does not look to be advisable.
I will cut back to once a day, but it is recommended to only do this once or twice weekly.
If done correctly, this is a great treatment as it frees dead cells for great anti-ageing benefits, and also frees dirt and bacteria that cause breakouts. It's especially great for getting rid of blackheads and causes pus to come to the surface. I find it often extracts the pimple without having to touch your face, therefore preventing the spread of bacteria. It also stimulates blood circulation for healthy, glowing skin.
It encourages your skin to sweat, secreting small amounts of waste and toxins in the process.

Here's how:-
* Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
* Wash your face to remove any dirt and oils, so they aren't absorbed by the skin when your pores are opened. Do this while your water is coming to the boil.
* Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins.
* Pour into a ceramic or glass bowl.
* You can add a few drops of essential oil at this point, but I don't bother.
* Put a towel over your head and the bowl, to lock in the steam, and steam your face for 5 minutes.
* Rinse your face with cool water. I always wash my face afterwards with tea tree soap.
* Apply a mask. I use manuka honey (moisturises), or bentonite clay (removes toxins).
* Apply a moisturiser. Facial steaming is very dehydrating for the skin, and this moisture must be rebalanced to prevent acne. I use aloe vera gel.


But there are some precautions to take!
* Do not steam your face if you have severe inflamed acne, rosacea or broken capillaries as this can exacerbate your symptoms.
* Do not use a plastic bowl, as the plastic will leech into your water.
* Make sure you face is at least 15 inches away from the water, so that is doesn't burn your skin.
* Ideally, your water temperature should be 43°C, to prevent burns.
* If it feels like it's burning your skin, let it cool for a while first, as this is very dangerous and can cause facial burns and burst capillaries.

This treatment is obviously not for everyone, but I love it and will definitely keep doing this regularly as I find it beneficial in my fight against acne.




No comments:

Post a Comment